Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wow. Two Weeks

It has been two weeks since I have last posted, sorry for the long delay :) I will however, not aim to post all of what has occurred in that time in one post, but will tell my tales over the course of a few. My family and my chemicals have been keeping me from writing lately. That, and I lost my camera for a time and thus was unable to take or post pictures. I found it in a bag of yarn in my room, of all places!

Well, for the whole week leading up to the fourth of July, I did nothing but sit in a chair and read scientific literature the whole week. However, that has paid off, as now I am prepared to do more and have a better grasp of the reactions I am running. That thought doesn't, however, make those 40 hours I spent staring at my computer any easier in my memory....


Also during that time, my family came into to town from the great state of Washington! I was really excited to see them, and it has seemed to break up the time I am here into nice chunks. I have now been in Cali for exactly 5 weeks and have less than 5 weeks to go. Eek! So much to do! I was nice to hang out with the have have a mini-vacation of sorts: we traveled down to Bakersfield, CA for the fourth. Now what is in Bakersfield, you ask, that would induce a normal person to visit such a hot, smelly land? Well, I have relatives down there that we like to visit about every other year (or so it has been for the last few). They actually have air conditioning, which is great, seeing as it was nearing 100 degrees F before nine o'clock in the morning. They also have a rather large pool, which my family availed themselves of constantly. The picture above is from the 4th, the girls sat and watched while guys lit off the fireworks, which consisted of mostly fountains that sparkled. And then we watch the show from the country club over the hill, where there were bigger and better fireworks, and they were free!

Also, the other best part of visiting Bakersfield - the meat. My great-uncle cooks really good meat. We had delicious chicken the first night, pork the second, and some beautiful beef the last evening. Of course there were other things along with it, but I have not had good meat for a while now, probably since my birthday, when I was home in E-burg. 

While I was there I was able to really relax. With no agenda, a pair of knitting needles, new yarn and a new pattern, coupled with a little second-cousin (I think that how we are related anyway...) who loves to watch the Disney channel. And deep down, I really enjoy that channel too, especially when I find Scooby Doo on...I love Scooby Doo and could watch it all day...but please, don't tell anyone ;) Though I seem to do nothing but relax when I am at the Sayres, home from work (I am not taking French classes this summer and no one I know lives close enough for me to visit) but at my relatives I got to stay up til midnight and still get 8+ hours of sleep! 


This is what what the nightstand next to my bed looks like. And yes, it does get cold enough here in the evenings to merit a nice hot cup of tea. Tonight, I believe it was mint.

I have, this summer, read many books. It has been almost 2 years since I got to properly read a novel for pure pleasure, and I have been taking every advantage of my lazy summer days. This is the reason I will not come back from Cali with a tan, as I spend much of my time inside, reading my books. I do however, have a slight Tom's tan line, which I will sport with pride when I meet up with my friends from the south US. (aka Kali and Charis). 

And with that, my friends, bon nuit! for I am heading to bed. 


No comments: