Soon (as in 2.5 hours) we will be traveling north to visit a village where Bible translation is occurring, just to meet and interact with the people there. While I am quite excited for this, we have to leave before we can see the talent show the kids at school have been preparing. While the show was not planned for us, the kids were disappointed to learn we would not be there.
Yesterday I came down real hard with a cold and was only able to help out in the Science classrooms in the morning. I napped all afternoon. That morning, however, was experiment day for the grade 5, so I got to help them look at different types of cells underneath a microscope. We first looked at onion cells, which we could see surprisingly well, and then we looked at a few kid's cheek cells. Because we didn't have the greatest of stains, those were hard to see. And then, for the grand finale, we looked at blood cells. The director of the school volunteered to prick her finger to get the blood, but since we had no needles, she sterilized a relatively new knife from the microscope kit in a hot flame and then tried to cut into her finger. However, the knife turned out to be really dull and the heat just caused blisters to form, and she never actually cut her skin. So, I looked at my fingers, and while I didn't really want to donate my blood to science, I found and pulled a hangnail far enough to get some blood on the slide. While it was too thick to really see individual cells, it was red colored and good enough for 5th graders. They'll see blood again eventually if they take any more bio classes. And don't worry, I washed my finger with antibacterial soap, and bandaged it with antibacterial neosporin right after we were done with class.
You won't see any updates for a while since the village has no internet and we are leaving our computers behind. I am taking my camera though!
No comments:
Post a Comment