So, it has been a while since I finished my last post about my overseas adventures and I figured it was high time to post another. I am currently on spring break and off to more adventures (which I will post on later) but I thought I would do a short post on what my home is like. This is my 'home base' of sorts, the place where my parents live and where I love to spend my time when away from school. Those of you who know me know that I am a country girl, born and raised and as they say in the country music world: you can take a girl out of the country, but you can't take the county out of the girl!
While we don't live on a full-blown farm, we do have eight chickens, one cat, one horse, three baby goats, and two guinea pigs. Over the course of the almost 19 years we have lived here, we have had two other horses, four other goats, numerous other chickens and cats, and two sweet dogs.
We also have about a dozen and a half fruit trees, some of which usually don't produce fruit because they bloom to early, but we typically get lots of delicious apricots, peaches, purple and golden plums. While we have crab apple trees, we don't actually do anything with them. My dad does raise (farm? produce?) grapes and the vines have finally starting producing.
And the most exciting recent news: my chicken is laying blue eggs! I knew that we had two chickens who where supposed to be laying blue-green eggs, but we didn't get any until just a few weeks ago! So fun, I've always wanted chickens who lay blue eggs. And before you ask, no - they are no different from regular brown or while eggs. You just don't have to color them for Easter.
This is my cat, Coulee. She does not like strangers, so be wary when you visit....she also drinks coffee. (Also, I do not know why this is underlined....)
This is one of the guinea pigs, Harley. She has a mohawk that runs all the way down her back, and if you shape it, you can get the mohawk to start at her nose.
This is my chicken, Henrietta. She is a Rhode Island Red and for some reason is losing the feathers on the top of her head, so she looks a bit bald right now. She was rolling around in a dirt hole she had made and was in the process of shaking all the dirt off when I caught this picture.
This is my horse, Shazam. She is a pure bred Arabian horse (registered name: Shabbis Habbib) and enjoys laying down to nap in the sunshine and eating lots of hay. She is the smartest, sweetest horse!
This is one of our new baby goats, I think his name is Oreo, but I am not sure. We transitioned from having only girl goats to having only boy goats, so the names didn't all transfer over. He is a pigmy goat, so he is very small right now and won't get much larger.
I just really enjoy going home and getting out of the city, to 'feed my soul' as Dr. Reinsma would say. I long to see the stars, hear the quiet, and pet my cat. All in all, an excellent place. There is much more about my childhood home, but you'll just have to visit and experiance it yourself!
1 comment:
Olivia I love this. I feel like I can read it and be in Ellensburg again. Your home has been an oasis in my college experience and you capture it so well here. :)
I never knew how you spelled Coulee! And I also never knew she drinks coffee!
And I would LOVE to hear Harley and Poppy squeal right now as you swoop them up and plop one in my lap.
And I want you to take a picture of your blue eggs please. :) Because I've never seen one before!
And GRAPES remind me of our house and the Concord grapes that were so wonderful in the fall.
And finally, I was hoping you'd blog about playing in the dirt as a child. :) I feel like it's a good example of the country girl in you. :) That's all from here! Love you Olivia!
Post a Comment