Probably my new favorite part of living in California is the access to fresh fruit. I love eating my pluot or nectarine at lunch and then snacking on fresh peaches and strawberries after dinner. The farmers market is such a great place to get fruit every week. I stock up every Sunday with my favorite vendors. I'm sure I probably pay a smidgen too much per pound, but the fruit is super delicious!
This is where I buy my peaches. I like the snow and yellow peaches.
I don't buy peppers, but the colors were so vibrant, I couldn't pass up the picture.
Much time has past since I last blogged, mainly because I have been trying to stay busy. I have been working decently long hours, but have also been biking and hiking and reading and sewing. Two weekends ago, my roommate, a few of my co-workers, and a couple of other interns went hiking in the Santa Cruz area on a Saturday, in a place called Big Basin. It was a lovely forest of large redwood trees. No, these were not the famous giant redwoods, but they were pretty darn big! And it smelled so lovely there, like I was back at Rimrock at my family's cabin. We took one short, flat, easy trail that took us to see the 'Mother' and 'Father' of the forest and then took another pretty easy trail to a small waterfall. Overall we hiked about 5 miles. I will say though that the drive to the area and back was pretty terrible. We didn't realize that part of route 239 is virtually a one lane windy road down the side of the mountain with many blind corners and steep drop offs. Everyone in the car breathed a great sigh of relief when we made it safely to Big Basin. I, fortunately was not driving, but we did take a better road out of the mountains.
Yay! We found the waterfall!
The trail to the waterfall.
The 'Mother' of the forest tree
Friday, the day before our hike, Hannah and I took a trip out to Standford. On our bikes. We stopped along the way there, but I must admit, 10 miles is not all that far away. We meandered through the campus, which is quite lovely, and took a bunch of pictures. I'm posting a few here, but I will have an album up on Facebook sometime soon. Overall, we rode about 20 miles that day, and surprisingly I wasn't very sore! We did take the time to walk through the Palo Alto main drag and today we are headed back to the area to try out a cupcake place called Sprinkles. We'll see if it is as good as Cupcake Royale in Seattle...
At the entrance to Stanford off El Camino Real
(and yes, Kali, this is evidence that I wore my yoga pants in public)
Moving forward to Sunday, Hannah and I went to military church and then to the farmer's market. I had wanted to go to the chapel on base last year, but it was always so out of the way from where I was at in San Jose that I never went. Well, we went this summer and I must admit it was slightly awkward. I think we walked in on a Sunday School class that was in the main chapel right before service, but there was only four people in pews, so I am not sure. They also had the church all set up for VBS the coming week, so it looked like we should be in Egypt. Also, the stained glass windows of the church had a general military symbol at the top of each one, a Biblical symbol in the middle and a symbol for a branch of the military at the bottom. They also didn't have any sort of a worship team, the pastor just played a video with the words and vocals for the congregation to sing along with. We also kind of stood out because we were the only new faces in a crowd of about 30 people and were referred as the 'new ladies in the back' more than once during the service. He preached on a passage in Luke, discussing truth. I don't remember all the details now, but it will be interesting to hear Pastor Mark from back in Seattle preach on the same passage in the coming weeks.
More to come soon!
3 comments:
I should've known you'd be keeping yourself super busy! I love how I sit by the pool for days on end and you hike/bike all over the world - haha I LOVE IT! and I love you. And i'm glad you weren't afraid to where spandex in public (even if it was for hiking, which only sort of counts . . . )
miss you tons!
BLOG POST! Yay! I knew it was going to be a good one just from the title. fruit. fruit. oh fruit. I just love summer fruit. And I'm so glad you are stalking up on it. And I quite literally smiled to myself reading about hiking and biking and reading and sewing because that just sounds like a perfect way to spend your summer free-time. :)
I'm glad you are enjoying yourself Olivia! I miss you!
Love
hahaha "stalking up on it"
Oh dear, it really has been a long week of 12 hour shifts.
Of course, I meant "stocking up on it." :)
Post a Comment