Okay, so I apologize to the few people who may watch my blog (aka Kali and Charis) about not being very good about posting. I basically don't get internet at my apartment area and when I am out at coffee shops, I am generally studying for the GRE (yuck)...which by the way, is the weirdest test. It tests basic algebra and geometry and graph interpretation, but then it test ridiculously challenging vocabulary that nobody uses in everyday life! I don't get the rationale behind the test, how it is supposed to tell if we are ready for graduate school, but I have to take it, so I will study about how to beat the test b/c there is no way I can memorize 5000 new words by September!
Besides just studying and sewing (I finished my dress and made another skirt and now am working on a pair of pants!), I have been biking...a lot. Te week before last, I biked a total of about 50 miles (!) and then hiked about 5 miles, uphill the following Saturday.
We hiked back in Big Basin, but we took the 'Buzzard's Roost' trail. It was a 2.5 mile loop trail and included at 1100ft elevation change....needless to say, it was uphill the whole way. But the view from the top was beautiful - I felt like I was back in the great northwest because all the hills were covered in dense green foliage.
Part of the trail.
The group who went hiking.
[Also, just an fyi, I can't seem to keep a straight timeline on all the events I want to share, so I make no claim to chronological order]
Not sure if I mentioned a new friend Hannah and I made while in the kitchen one evening, but we met a guy from Georgia Tech, named Mike, who likes to bike. He loves to bike. And somehow convinced us to go on a bike ride after work. We bike for a total of 20 miles, moving constantly. While I'd biked that much before, Hannah and I always stopped along the way, which made it not quite as challenging.
Then, later that week, we biked again to Stanford, this time to try out the first cupcake store. (this was not their first location, but they claim to be the brand that started the cupcake store trend) It is called Sprinkles and I had heard rave reviews from coworkers about their treats. I wanted to see if I could compare it to Cupcake Royale in Seattle, and I must admit, they seem pretty similar, but then, a cupcake's a cupcake, right? Sprinkles did not have anything like my favorite kind at Cupcake Royale, Dance Party (it tastes like those delicious white cookies with oodles of pink frosting and sprinkles that you buy at the grocery store) but the Dark Chocolate one that I tried was pretty good. I love sprinkles on just about anything, so this one was great!
My cupcake.
While we were there, the shopping center was hosting a summer jazz evening, so we stayed to listen to some great music and watch all the little kids running around.
One of the cute kids. I almost got one of her laughing, looking at me, but I just missed it!
And to finish this post off, here is a thought that could be one of my GRE essay questions and one that I have thought about when I walk down the halls of NASA:
"It is more important to allocate money for immediate, existing social problems than to spend it on long-term research that might help future generations."
What do you think?
1 comment:
Do you have a test date for the GRE? Dark chocolate cupcake = perfect choice. :)
Hmm.. interesting last question. It's tough to answer because I see so much immediate and very painful social needs--but at the same time I see so much waste and misuse of the money going to try and meet those needs! At the same time I think it also depends on what kind of long-term research you are doing and what you hope to use that research for--mainly if you are taking money away from social work for the sake of the research. Great question to ponder..
Post a Comment