On a semi-related note, volunteering at CamdenForward School and not getting the opportunity to work with the after-school programing, honestly, has kind of made me feel like I'm in a Urban Promise bubble. While many of the kids come from challenging backgrounds, many of them (from what I can glean from short conversations with them) come from moderately affluent families who live outside of Camden and want their kids to go to a private school. I don't know if any of them will go to the high school, Urban Promise Academy when they reach 9th grade. In fact, one of the students I talked with, who lives outside of Camden, and she (an 8th grader) did not think that Camden could become a better place. The feeling I got in the high school was very different - those students definitely come from pretty rough backgrounds. Some of the students (a very limited number) when I asked what they were going to do after-school, mentioned going back home and helping out with the various siblings at home. One girl even had her own child, Serenity, that she was raising. The middle school kids, however, all mentioned hanging out at the Cherry Hill mall and shopping for clothing as their weekend choice activity. The campus of Urban Promise itself is very safe feeling - it is on its own little corner set apart from most other businesses. Granted, they've had their share of scares, but overall, I've definitely felt a 'safe bubble' feeling around there. Don't worry Mom - I'm still careful when I go outside :)
I'm still catching up with the videos - they always take longer than I expect to edit, so stay tuned!
Also, I'm not entirely sure why blogger likes to double-space the first paragraph of each post....
2 comments:
that's really interesting about the difference between the middleschool and the highschool kids... is there a lot of segregation in the middleschool between kids who really do have rough backgrounds and the kids who commute in for a private school education?
Will the kids from this middle school enter the same high school? That is a huge shift. Interesting for sure, and it's hard to know whether it's a bubble or just how it works out/who's more likely to chat with you. Plus, it's probably better to have some sort of bubble to start, as frustrating as it is. Thanks for writing so much! It's been wonderful to follow.
Post a Comment