Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Learning to Swim

Grad school quickly is settling into a routine, and I'm finding that I'm busier than I expected to be (not that I should be surprised, but it's been a load of work for only the first couple weeks)

Typically, I've been arriving at school by ~8:30 am every morning. Having four roommates who all have to go to work by 8 or 8:30 helps motivate me to get up. And it's nice to not rush once I'm at school, I can usually get some tea in me before class, which helps wake me up :) (I don't think it's the caffeine, just drinking something warm wakes me up) It's takes me a few minutes to get put together after biking in to school with my bike gear on, but I'm reasonably ready to go by 9 am. I only have one real class each day, but they take up basically all of each morning. (except fridays. I wasn't supposed to have class friday, but one prof decided to make up the days he was missing by holding a 1hr session every Friday morning. Fun.) Apparently, it's normal for my other prof to just keep lecturing past the time our course is supposed to end, as he needs to cancel courses later on in the quarter. He lectures anywhere from 15-30 minutes over the usual course time. While that is not the longest time in the world, for some reason, I just get restless. It could be because the course is just before lunch or the fact that all we do is sit in the dark, scrambling to write everything down our prof is writing on the overhead projector.

Yes. Overhead projector. Apparently the UW still has one of those in almost every room on campus. And  people use them all the time! You have to check out and bring the digital projectors yourself to many classrooms. It's just a funny switch from SPU, where we were apparently down to two overhead projectors on campus. I had one prof from the history department who brought an overhead with him to class frequently :)

My other two classes are just seminars, where I go and listen to a lecture/talk for an hour and then there is a Q&A session afterwards. Really low key, but I'm not gonna lie - sitting and paying even a moderate amount of attention when the topic is nothing I'm really interested in (microfabrication of structures for stem cell cultures?!) is quite difficult. Today's topic: Supramolecular Self-assembly at Surfaces....yeah. May not be the most engaging....

And apparently I missed the memo about grad students not normally getting in to school at 8:30 am, as I'm finding that I'm usually one of the first people there, if not the first. I guess I'm used to it from this summer, where no one came into work before 9 am either... I'm finding that I have more of a 'work' mentality about grad school than a 'school' mentality; it probably helps that I'm am commuting by bike each day, leaving significantly before my class' start time and that I have an 'office'.


This is my desk/office. it includes all the essentials: climbing gear, a couple changes of clothing, a computer (you can't really see it up on top o the books), rain jacket, travel mug and teabags. Currently drinking 'super' Irish breakfast, English breakfast, china oolong, and what I call 'dirt tea' because if you just smell it, it kinda smells like dirt. Kind of tastes like it too, but it grows on you....drinking through 100 teabags will force you to like it. I don't actually know the name beyond 'organic oolong' because the packaging is all in some form of Chinese....

My office is also really really quiet - there are only five of us in the room and frequently I'm the only one here. I'm contemplating trying to move to another one, but it may be complicated (changing keys, making my officemates feel weird, etc. but as I don't really ever see them, I'm not too worried about that...) I may just wait til the quarter break and then see about switching, we'll see. 

I've surprised myself with amount of focus and work I've been able to get done while at school - usually I couldn't do homework on campus at SPU because I got so distracted by people and other commitments. But now I get can things done and by the time 4pm rolls around, I'm exhausted and so ready to go home. Hopefully, I can keep this momentum going, it lessens the amount I have to do back at home. 

----
and you should watch this: 


I laughed so hard I almost cried.

No comments: