Tuesday, October 18, 2011

....seminars....

One part of grad school I did not expect was the number seminars I have to attend. I'm just shy of three weeks in and I've already listened to 6 seminars and have one more to go this week. (this week is unusual, mainly because my sol-gel class has morphed into guest seminars for both classes this week, so I going to 4 seminars). and last week, I went to a seminar outside of school, as I finally made it one of Seattle's Science Cafes.

This summer, I could go to just one or roughly four different seminars a week, and they usually had cookies aft wards :) I enjoy going to seminars, and as uninteresting as the titles may sound, I've found that I usually find something intriguing in each one. That doesn't always mean that I actually understand much of what is being discussed, but I try to pay close attention...promise.

Anyways, one of our seminars was actually pretty pertinent to what I am planning on researching - solar cells! This professor from the University of Illinois (who is taking a sabbatical in Oregon??) researches something called CIGS - they are a specific type of solar material that is made of Copper, Indium, Gallium, and Selenide (I think) and are becoming more promising with increased efficiencies and lower manufacturing costs. However, I am not a super big fan of the device because it still uses both CdS for an absorber layer, which is toxic (though he did say that should a house burn these panels on the roof, the vapor was not concentrated enough to be toxic) and the cells rely on indium, an element which, to the best of my knowledge, is only available in China. And I heard that recently China's been increasing prices of certain metals, and though I'm not sure if indium is one of them, I wouldn't be surprised. I think every current solar cell uses it in some form. The only major point I disagreed with his assertion that we should only focus on efficiency of the cells and that going for a cheaper, but less efficient material was a good problem for 'academia' but not really commercially feasible. Maybe it's just because that's what my thesis focuses on, and I'm a bit biased, but I think that using a cheaper, less toxic, easier to manufacture material can be a good tradeoff with a decreased efficiency. But we'll see. Ask me again in 5 years how I feel about that :)

Today's substitute sol-gel seminar was barely related to sol-gel processing (actually, I can't really figure a connection) but really interesting. It focused on a new idea for storage of energy generated from solar cells - splitting water. Since solar cells only work during the daylight hours, what happens when you need electricity at night? You can produce more electricity during the day than you use, but if you can't store it, then you lose it. One of my favorite companies, A123 Systems in MI, has developed a more efficient battery that can possibly 'stabilize the grid', basically store excess power and meter it out when needed. But this prof was discussing how if we split water into it's respective H2 and O2 components, then later on we could recombine them and get energy out when they form H2O again. Yes, you'll lose some energy to splitting the original water, but not as much as if you lost all the excess energy by not trying to store it. They are even working on developing solar cells of sorts that can sit in a clear bucket of water and just by absorbing light can power reactions that split water. To cool! Here is a sweet video he showed us, the bubbles on the front are O2 and the ones on the back are H2. There are no wires, no membranes, no nothing besides this complicated, layered metal.


Isn't it pretty?!

The other seminars - not so interesting. I may have found a new technique that will be helpful in determining charge carrier mobility (basically, how far can an electron or electron hole move in my material) but it also looks like a complicated set up :/

One seminar had lots of cool pictures because they were causing supramolecular structures to self-assemble in monolayers - randomly dispersed pieces of a puzzle come together in an ordered/patterned fashion by themselves. And they make really cool SEM pictures:



(the green overlays are the molecule outlines)

All I could think about during the lecture was how they would look really incredible blown up really large or shrunk to a small pattern and used in a dress....like these atomic bomb images were used:




(Christopher Kane's 2010 Resort Collection)


I just calculated that I'm required to go at least 90 seminars so that I can finish my degree. Oh boy.

1 comment:

James Eastwood said...

Re: splitting water to store energy, Nate Lewis at Caltech and Daniel Nocera are working together on this problem from two different starting points: Lewis on solar power conversion and Nocera on water catalysis. Nocera has done some hugely influential work (in electron transfer, is I remember correctly) along the way, but he stands out most to me for his understanding of the society-scale problems of energy usage.

Also, your images appear to be broken.