Monday, December 31, 2012

back in the big apple.

I'm currently in NYC for a week-ish, so I thought I'd dust off this poor blog and write about all the fun things I get to see here! Fair warning - every post might be a bit boring if you're not a museum/fabric shop/bakery/theatre lover, as my week is planned to generally revolve around those themes :)

After the second-worst red-eye of my life, I made it safely to NYC, napped for a few hours and then ate the spiciest indian food of my whole life. The naan was awesome and so were some of the dishes I tried, but overall, it was spicey. And not just Olivia-can't-handle-any-spice spicey, I would say it was in the 2-3 stars range, which for this girl who gets 0s at any place, was quite a bit to handle!

spicy indian food assortment. lovely delicious large garlic naan!

Yesterday, day two of my mini vacation to NYC (yes, I'm still working on research things in the evening - that's what you get when you don't love the typical NYC nightlife and all the places you want to go close up by 6pm...)

My morning started with attending a church service at Redeemer Presbyterian - a beautiful space hidden between some buildings on W83rd - where I heard a great sermon based on Colossians ___. Apparently this is a traditional text to follow Christmas, reminding me again as to the significance of the Incarnation and how the way I view my life, others, and my community changes because of Christ.

Following church, I wandered a bit waiting for Hannah and Dan to catch up so that we could take some engagement pictures :) and ended up at a coffee bar that I think even my most coffee-'snobbish' friends in Seattle would like, though I'll readily admit that I only drank tea :) But, since the shop offered pour-overs, single-origin coffees, and sold Chemex's and Aeropresses, I think it qualifies as a good coffeeshop. Tables were scarce, but I managed to snag one and start reading the copy of The Hobbit I picked up on the way.

Before taking pictures though, Hannah, Dan, and I booked it down to the NY City Center to pick up some rush tickets for Alvin Aliey. I love love love this dance company and the rep we saw this afternoon was incredible. The company started utilizing social media recently and has excerpts from all the works I saw, which I have embedded here to remember them :)


I saw Petite Mort at PNB earlier this year and knew I would love the piece again, though it looks so different on the Alvin Aliey company! Due to the slightly different training, one gets more of a sense of 'strength' from these dancers than from PNB. This version was missing the humorous section that was present in the Seattle version, but I think the absence lent the whole piece a more serious air.
Strange Humors - the first video gives you a better looks at the Aliey staging, but the second video is actually the whole piece. This was Hannah's favorite and was quite interesting. I like that Aliey consistently does pieces for two or three males, as many companies don't (I think I've seen one in Seattle and that was with the W'him W'him contemporary company). The dancing styles of the dancers we got to see were more differentiated than the ones in the videos, which I really liked, as the dancer who frequently represented the drum beat was stiffer and sharper than the other dancer, and it seemed to fit the music quite appropriately

This third piece, Another Night, was so much more fun than this video portrays. I'm not sure if it was because today was the last day of the season and the dancers were just going all out or what, but the version we saw today was much more lively and loose! While still technically excellent, the dancers seemed to enjoy the piece immensely and that translated well to us in the audience.
I forgot to read any of the information about the last piece, Grace, before it began, but apparently it is about the journey to the promised land - something I kind of guessed based on the spiritual music and the costumes/lighting. The dances began in sets of red and white, but all had changed to wearing white garments by the end of the piece. The audience actually got really into this, audibly engaged with clapping sprinkled throughout, so you can tell just how captivating it was! What actually struck me the most about this piece, which isn't really obvious from the clip, was how frequently the dancers faced the wings while dancing, turned 90 degrees from the audience. It was visually interesting and thoroughly entertaining.

No comments: