Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dancing and Cello Music

A few weeks ago, I found out that Ames has a ballroom dancing club (actually, Ames a large number of clubs, including a cat rescue club...) Every Tuesday night the get together and learn some form of dance, a new one every month. They also have Casino Rueda lessons every week. The beginner lessons are free, so Hannah and I decided to try one out. And it was a lot of fun! I haven't had too many ballroom classes, so this was definitely a challenge for me. The style of dance is sort of a cross between salsa and country four-square dancing, I think - is that where they change partners? Anyways, the basics moves are salsa moves, but it is done in a circle and you swich partners during the dance. There is also a caller, who calls out the next move. Unfortunately for me, they're all in Spanish....eh, at least I'm not quizzed on their meaning and have to learn to spell them....

I have learned some of the moves as a lead and some as a follow, and let me tell you, it is much eaiser being a follow! Here is a video to give you a taste for what it looks like:


The other new art-related thing I have been introduced to is an artist named Zoe Keating. She plays really sweet cello music by live layering of loops she creates via a foot pedle and computer. You should listen to the link below before watch the music video - you will never believe one woman makes the track until you watch her create it!





1 comment:

Charis & Josh said...

Wow! The cellist is incredible-- how did you find out about her? And the dancing video was so fun too! Were there enough guys when you and Hannah went? Or is that why you were leading?