It was before 10am, and as usual, I was the only one in the office. I was really really really tired this morning. My cup of tea got me through the 7:30am bus ride, hour prep for my meeting with my advisor, and finally through said meeting, but I was fading fast post-meeting. So, I figured since I'd be the only one in the office for a bit, I curled up on my chair, which is decently wide, and closed my eyes for ~6 minutes.
unfortunately, my legs like to fall asleep quickly when curled up, and so I decided to move to nap under my desk for 10 minutes.
I only needed a 10 minute power nap.
So, here I was, crawling under my desk, which is decently spacious, and just settling into my nap when I hear the lock turning in my office door.
uh oh. apparently my office-mate decided to show up to school this morning.....
(this is guy who thus far has only ever said "Oh! I didn't know you were that tall!" to me a few weeks ago - he hasn't been in the office very frequently lately)
as quickly and gracefully as I could, I reached for my computer power cord and pretended that I had to be on my hands and knees, completely under my desk, to get it plugged in. Fortunately for me me, the plugins are inconveniently located under my desk in the far corner....but it was already plugged in.....so I pretended that I had just finished plugging it in....
second sentence he ever said to me: "Are you alright?"
"yep, yep" just plugging in my laptop"
third sentence: "there's a strip cord over here you can use if you want."
"it's okay, I've got it figured out, thanks!"
(besides - who knows when I might need that excuse again?)
I crawled out from under my desk and started working again. no nap today.
I'm 99% sure he bought my story.
-----------
tomorrow's a day 'off', but I find this quite appropriate:
you know I'm going to be in tomorrow by 8:30am.

No comments:
Post a Comment