Monday, December 5, 2011

diodes

first, thank you to all my EE inclined friends who have been teaching me the basics of everything I probably should have learned at some point before starting a solar cell project....I'm slowly learning and absorbing all this new material.


this thursday, if someone questions my understanding of diodes when I try to explain how solar cells (p-n junctions) work, I'm just going to quote my favorite EE:


so it's like a door really
if you push it the wrong way, it won't open
and if you push it the right way, but not hard enough, it won't open
otherwise it opens and the electrons can walk right through
if you put a ton of current going the wrong way, it'll burn up



basically it's like throwing flaming bowling balls at a door going the wrong way
eventually they get through
and burn up the door in the process
then it just works as a wire
but smells bad
kind of charred





best moment during my night of panicked studying. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your favorite EE is on her fourth cup of coffee today. I forgot to mention that sometimes a burned up diode will melt your breadboard and mess up your whole circuit not work.